Don’t forget about your pond during the winter months! Now is the time to develop a plan for your pond for the spring and summer growing season. By treating your pond in early spring you have a better chance of maintaining control of the aquatic vegetation throughout the spring and summer. Knowing what species were a problem in the prior growing season will help you develop a plan for treatment that can be implemented early, and therefore be more effective.
SOLitude Lake Management also recommends that you also consider the following during the winter months to be certain that your pond is prepared for spring:
• Evaluate your pond and determine if you need to add aeration to meet your management goals and objectives for 2014, and don’t forget to schedule annual maintenance and service for your current fountains and aeration systems this winter.
• Consider installing a Sonic Solutions algae control device prior to spring to help prevent the onset of algae blooms as the weather warms.
• If you have not been maintaining the vegetative buffer along the shoreline and the sloped areas adjacent to your pond, schedule thinning of the vegetation in these areas.
• Failure of your stormwater pond is never an option. An annual structural inspection can ensure your pond is functioning properly.
• Review your lake/pond budget and Replacement Reserve funds to ensure that funds are available for bathymetry to determine if and when you will have a need for dredging.
• Think ahead to spring and pesky mosquitoes! Keep them at bay by stocking minnows in your pond.
• Consult with a Fisheries Biologist to set the ground work for an annual youth tournament or environmental education day.
• Most importantly, implement a sustainable annual pond maintenance program that focuses on the ecological balance of your aquatic resources.
Since 1998, SOLitude Lake Management has been committed to providing full service lake and pond management services that improve water quality, preserve natural resources, and reduce our environmental footprint. Services are available throughout the Eastern United States. Fisheries management consulting and aquatic products are available nationwide. Learn more about SOLitude Lake Management and purchase products at www.solitudelakemanagement.com.
Contact the experts at 888-480-LAKE (5253) for all of your lake, pond and fisheries management needs.