Ponder These Thoughts – Summer Pond Management Tips
July 24th, 2017
SOLitude Lake Management wants your lake or pond to be prepared for warm weather. With this in mind, we recommend that you consider the following during the summer months:
• Warm summer weather seems to bring out the best and the worst in ponds. Although pond algae and aquatic weeds seem to be more abundant at this time of year, a year-round maintenance plan is the best way to ensure a healthy pond all year long.
• Reduced flows and warmer water temperatures increase the potential for Harmful Algae Blooms (HABs), which can be a threat to the environment as well as the health of humans, pets and wildlife. If you experience blue-green algae and surface scum or suspect an increase in microscopic algae growth, contact one of our biologists.
• Summer is the perfect time to think about pond aeration. The warmer water temperatures can be detrimental to the overall health of your pond. Increase oxygen, reduce stagnation and stratification, and prevent algae, mosquito breeding, fish kills and many other water quality problems with a properly-sized aeration system.
• Mosquitoes can ruin summer fun. Think about stocking your pond with juvenile Bluegill, Fathead Minnows and other small fish that help to control mosquitoes. This, along with beneficial buffer plants and proper aeration, can help eliminate a potentially big problem.
• Remember to respect the natural vegetative buffer around the lake and never mow all the way to the water. Also, be sure to keep clippings and other debris out of the water as this adds nutrients and spurs algae growth.
• Summer months = Good fishing! Maintain your fish habitat with good water quality and cover. Consult our experts if you have questions about proper maintenance of your fishery.
• Plan a Labor Day fishing event in your community. Be sure your pond is stocked with easy-to-catch fish, like Bluegill, Largemouth Bass and Catfish, and have a fisheries biologist tag some fish to allow for special prizes.
Contact the experts at 888-480-LAKE (5253) for all of your lake, pond and fisheries management needs.
SOLitude Lake Management is committed to providing full service lake and pond management services that improve water quality, preserve natural resources, and reduce our environmental footprint. Our services include lake, pond and fisheries management programs, algae and aquatic weed control, mechanical harvesting, hydro-raking, installation and maintenance of fountains and aeration systems, water quality testing and restoration, bathymetry, lake vegetation studies, biological assessments, habitat assessments, invasive species management and nuisance wildlife management. Services, consulting and aquatic products are available to clients nationwide, including homeowners associations, multi-family and apartment communities, golf courses, commercial developments, ranches, private landowners, reservoirs, recreational and public lakes, municipalities, parks, and state and federal agencies. Learn more about SOLitude Lake Management and purchase products at www.solitudelakemanagement.com.