Written by Industry Expert Brent Weber, Environmental Scientist
Pond aeration is the simple, yet effective, process of increasing oxygen levels in a pond and can not only greatly enhance the aesthetic beauty of a pond, but can also improve the natural systems taking place beneath the water’s surface. Aeration creates destratification of the water column, as lakes and ponds typically consist of stratified layers separated mainly by different temperature and oxygen levels. Natural resource and environmental managers are often challenged by problems caused by lake and pond stratification.
Through surface aeration with floating fountains or bottom aeration, with a compressor pushing air through weighted diffusers, the main purpose of aeration is to increase and stabilize the amount of dissolved oxygen in the entire water column. Aeration systems can have a widespread effect on many different aspects of pond and lake health and can be operated by solar or windmill power if running electricity to your waterbody is not feasible.
• Aeration will help reduce and eliminate many of the water quality problems faced by lake and pond owners and help “clean” the water of cloudiness and odors.
• Aeration reduces the likelihood of problematic pond algae blooms and the growth of floating vegetation.
• Aeration helps reduce the amount of free-reactive Phosphorus in a pond through oxidation.
• Floating Fountain aerators are aesthetically pleasing, providing distinction and splendor.
• Aeration decreases mosquito activity by creating ripples and moving water.
• Aeration provides an oxygen-rich environment in the pond, promoting a healthy habitat for fish and other aquatic life.
• Aerators helps reduce the overall accumulation of organic sediment on the bottom of the pond.
Implementing the use of an aeration system is a proactive, and cost-effective approach to controlling a variety of challenges when it comes to pond and lake management. Not only can aeration prevent troublesome and hazardous issues with a pond before they occur, but it can also drastically improve the health of an aquatic ecosystem with existing issues. If a healthy pond is a goal, then aeration is one of the first steps one should take towards achieving a beautiful and balanced ecosystem.
Contact the experts at 888-480-LAKE (5253) for all of your lake, pond and fisheries management needs.
Brent Weber is an Environmental Scientist with SOLitude Lake Management. Since 1998, SOLitude Lake Management has been committed to providing full service lake and pond management services that improve water quality, preserve natural resources, and reduce our environmental footprint. Services are available throughout the Eastern United States. Fisheries management consulting and aquatic products are available nationwide. Learn more about SOLitude Lake Management and purchase products at www.solitudelakemanagement.com.