Toxic Algae PSA: Be On the Lookout this Summer
Lakes and ponds allow us to nurture meaningful connections with nature through swimming, fishing, boating, and other activities. Still, it’s important to remember that even the most beautiful waterbodies can contain hidden dangers. One of the most often overlooked is cyanobacteria.
What is Cyanobacteria?
Cyanobacteria (also known as blue-green algae) is a type of Harmful Algal Bloom (HAB) that may produce dangerous toxins. Exposure to these toxins can kill pets and wildlife and may cause physical and neurological problems in humans. Typically, HABs manifest as blue or “pea-soup” green spots and oily streaks on the water’s surface, particularly near the shoreline.
Though algae develop naturally, cultural factors such as pollution, urban development, and agriculture can increase the risk. Follow these best management practices to help prevent the conditions that cause HABs:
- Limit nutrient pollution by disposing of trash, pet waste, and yard clippings
- Support healthy dissolved oxygen levels with fountains or aerators
- Apply beneficial bacteria to reduce muck and pollutants
- Introduce native littoral and buffer plants to stabilize soil and filter runoff
- Repair aging shorelines using erosion control tools like SOX Solutions
- Regularly test water quality to identify potential imbalances
- Create a year-round management plan to prevent future blooms
- Educate friends and neighbors about their role in HAB prevention
Improve Water Quality with Algae & Aquatic Weed Control
SOLitude Lake Management is a nationwide environmental firm committed to providing sustainable solutions that improve water quality, enhance beauty and preserve natural resources.
SOLitude’s team of aquatic scientists specializes in the development and execution of customized lake, stormwater pond, wetland and fisheries management programs. Services include water quality testing and restoration, algae and aquatic weed control, installation and maintenance of fountains and aeration systems, shoreline erosion control, muck and sediment removal and invasive species management. SOLitude partners with homeowners associations, golf courses, private landowners, businesses and municipalities. SOLitude Lake Management is part of Rentokil, a leading business services company, operating across the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico.