Is your pond looking it's best through this summer heat or are nuisance aquatic weeds, algae and mosquitoes wreaking havoc? SOLitude Lake Management recommends you consider the following tips as you enjoy the summer season on your lake or pond:
• Warm summer weather seems to bring out the best and the worst in ponds. Although algae and aquatic weeds seem to be more abundant at this time of year, a year-round maintenance plan is the best way to ensure a healthy pond all year long.
• Summer is the perfect time to think about aeration. The warmer water temperatures can be detrimental to the overall health of your pond. Increase oxygen, reduce stagnation and stratification, and prevent algae, mosquito breeding and many other water quality problems with a properly sized aeration system.
• Mosquitoes can ruin summer fun. Think about stocking your pond with minnows and other small fish that help with mosquito control. This, along with larvicides, beneficial buffer plants, and proper aeration, can eliminate a potentially big problem.
• Living on a lake brings responsibility. Remember to respect the natural buffer around the lake and never mow all the way to the water. Also, be sure to keep clippings and other debris out of the water as this adds nutrients and spurs algae growth.
• Summer months = Good Fishing! Make sure you maintain your fish habitat with good water quality and cover. Consult our experts if you have questions about proper maintenance of your fishery.
Contact the experts at 888-480-LAKE (5253) for all of your lake, pond and fisheries management needs.
Since 1998, SOLitude Lake Management has been committed to providing full service lake and pond management services that improve water quality, preserve natural resources, and reduce our environmental footprint. Services are available throughout the Eastern United States. Fisheries management consulting and aquatic products are available nationwide. Learn more about SOLitude Lake Management and purchase products at www.solitudelakemanagement.com.