Aquatic Weed Control at Virginia CampAquatic Weed and Algae Control Case Study
Location and Acreage:Charlottesville, VA | 1.95-Acres
Project Timeframe: 2016
Project Managers:Shannon Junior, Aquatic Ecologist and Senior Business Development Consultant
Site Description:This property is a camp in Charlottesville, Virginia that offers children with special health needs an opportunity to enjoy all of the fun activities of a summer camp in a safe and medically supervised environment. SOLitude Lake Management “adopted” the 1.95-acre fishing pond on the property in 2013 as part of our Love Your Lake community outreach program.
Scope of Work: Control provided control of target species to achieve long-term improvement of the appearance and health of the pond, and to provide a pond that is conducive to fishing for children.
Project Description:When we first visited the site, the pond was 100% covered with watermeal and duckweed, and there had been a recent fish kill. We began the restoration process of the pond by installing an aeration system to improve the overall water quality and alleviate the dissolved oxygen concerns. There is a privately-owned pond upstream of the camp that was also infested with duckweed and watermeal, so we coordinated with that property owner and secured a contract to treat the pond and prevent constant reintroduction of the plants downstream. Since the initial treatment in 2013, we have continued to treat both of the ponds each year. In 2016, only duckweed reappeared in the camp’s pond, and there was much less surface coverage than in previous seasons. However, there was still enough growth that it was unsightly, and we did not want to give the plants an opportunity to re-infest the pond. On July 1, we began treatment of the upper pond, which was still mostly covered with watermeal and duckweed. We followed with the application of an environmentally sensitive aquatic product to the lower pond on July 15. We collected a FasTEST in early August, and although the results were slightly low at 17.4 ppb, the duckweed was showing extensive chlorosis. We added additional EPA registered aquatic herbicide, and continued to monitor the pond. By late August, the pond was mostly clear of the duckweed. It remained clear for the rest of the season, allowing campers to fully enjoy therapeutic activities such as canoeing, swimming and fishing.