SOLitude Lake Management wants you to be prepared for the Autumn season and all of the wonderful cool weather it brings. With this in mind, we recommend you consider the following pond management tips as you enjoy the colorful fall months on your lake or pond:
- Schedule a Bathymetric and Sedimentation Study as well as a structural inspection of your pond. This will allow for proper budgeting for future dredging and repair of any physical problems with your pond and its related structures.
- Fall is a good time to think about repairing and maintaining the areas around your pond. Be sure to trim the buffer zone and make certain that it is free of any woody vegetation. Repair any eroded areas around your pond before they become major issues. Erosion repair can easily be done in the fall months when you can overseed and apply an erosion blanket to allow for soil stabilization until the new seed germinates.
- Falling leaves and other yard debris may blow into your lake or pond. Try to keep leaves, clippings and other debris out of the waterbody and the ditches and storm drains that lead to it, as this adds nutrients which could lead to the growth of pond algae and other unwanted vegetation.
- If your pond has a floating fountain, now is the perfect time to schedule an Oil and Seals service which should be performed every three years. For those who live in the colder climates, you may desire removal and winter storage for your fountain. If so, this should be completed by early December.
- Liming is an important method of correcting many water quality issues, as well as helping to improve fish productivity in ponds. This process, if needed, should be done in the fall or winter.
- Fall is a great time to stock Rainbow trout. Trout serve as a very entertaining fish to catch and will survive in ponds during the fall, winter and spring months. During this time they transform your warm water fishery into a fun and entertaining cold water fishery that everyone can enjoy.
Contact the experts at 888-480-LAKE (5253) for all of your lake, pond and fisheries management needs.
Since 1998, SOLitude Lake Management has been committed to providing full service lake and pond management services that improve water quality, preserve natural resources, and reduce our environmental footprint. Lake, pond and fisheries management services, consulting, and aquatic products are available nationwide. Learn more about SOLitude Lake Management and purchase products at www.solitudelakemanagement.com.